The last monks left Ittingen Charterhouse in 1848. The buildings, which had been built over centuries, passed into the possession of the Canton of Thurgau and later private owners, who used them as a stately residence and model farm. Since 1977, the Ittingen Charterhouse Foundation has operated the complex as a cultural and meeting centre, which also houses two cantonal museums. The excellently preserved site provides a lively insight into the history of the place and its former inhabitants. The monks’ cells, cloister gardens and richly furnished rococo church allow visitors to form a direct impression of how the Carthusians perceived of themselves as hermits in the community.
> Printed version English : Ittingen Charterhouse
> Gedruckte Version Deutsch : Die Kartause Ittingen
> Version imprimée française : La chartreuse d’Ittingen
> Versione stampata italiana : La certosa di Ittinge